The Tanning Process
PREPARING FOR YOUR TAN
To give you the best possible results and the most natural looking brown tan possible, we need you to prepare your skin for your tanning session by doing the following:
LEADING UP TO YOUR TANNING SESSION
- Exfoliate!!! Exfoliate!! And then exfoliate again!! I can’t stress how important it is to have your skin free from the oldest, deadest skin. –An artist wouldn’t start their work using a canvas that had old paint on it. They start on a fresh, white, smooth canvas. Your skin should be the same!
- Be free from hair!!
- SHAVING: If you shave your body with a razor in the shower, you need to do this the day before your tan as most razors have a moisture strip on them that leaves behind a residue which can interfere with the tan adhering to your skin.
- WAXING: If you wax, this needs to be done at least 24 hours prior to your tan as the wax residue will create a barrier and stop your tan from looking even.
- LASER: Ensure all your laser hair removal is done prior to your spray tan. You will need to ensure that you are free from tan prior to your next laser appointment. Most salons will advise that you are free from tan for at least 2 weeks before your treatment. However if you are unsure, please check with your laser therapist.
- Moisturise!! The week leading up to your tanning session, moisturise as much as possible. This will ensure you have beautiful, soft skin. Having really dry skin will make the tanning solution stick to your skin – you don’t want this! It will result in a really patchy tan. However, on the day of your tan you need to be free from moisturiser as this will create a barrier.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR TANNING SESSION
- You need to be exfoliated and free from make-up, moisturiser, deodorant, perfume and jewellery.
- A Spray Tan technician will come to your house with a pop-up tent and a range of colours.
- A colour consult will be completed prior to you being sprayed so we understand how light or dark you would like to go.
- You will then be sprayed with the colour of your choice and your technician will indicate to you a wash time.
DIRECTLY AFTER YOUR TANNING SESSION
- Wear something loose and dark in colour.
- Don’t put your bra or shoes back on.
- Adhere to your technicians advice on wash times as these are really important.
- When you have your first shower after your tan, all the bronzer is going to wash off. Don’t stress if you go back to being white. Your tan will continue to develop and darken after your shower.
- Don’t use any body wash products in the shower. You only need to rinse the bronzer off using your hands.
- When you get out of the shower, pat yourself dry.
KEEPING YOUR TAN BEAUTIFUL
- Moisturise daily.
- Use a tan extender or gradual tan moisturiser.
- Avoid long, hot showers. Keep them short and warm and always remember to pat yourself dry.
- Avoid chlorinated water, spas and saunas.